N-600: Application for Certificate of Citizenship:

  • The N-600 form is the application for Certificate of Citizenship it is filed by an individual to claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while in the U.S. or born outside of the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s) who would like to document their U.S. citizenship status based on U.S. citizen parentage.

    Biological or adopted child of a U.S. citizen born outside the United States can claim U.S. citizenship by action of law if the following applies:

    • One parent is a U.S. citizen either by birth or naturalization;
    • Applicant generally resides in United States with legal and physical custody of your U.S. Citizen parent;
    • Applicant entered the U.S. lawfully for permanent residence. (Note: If an individual entered the U.S. as an adopted child, you should have been admitted as IR-3 (child adopted outside the U.S.). If admittance to the U.S. was based on an IR-4 (child entering U.S. to be adopted), the final adoption must take place for this section of law to apply to you);
    • Applicant has not reached the age of 18 years old;
    • Applicant is the biological child; you were legitimate, or you were legitimated while in the legal custody of your legitimating parent(s) prior to your 16th birthday; or
    • Applicant is a biological child born out of wedlock and you have not been legitimated and your mother naturalized as a U.S. citizen.

    Note: If the applicant is now 18 years of age, and all the above criteria applied to you before you reached the age of 18, and you were under the age of 18 on February 27, 2001 (date law took effect), you may file form N-600 to obtain Certificate of Citizenship.

    If the applicant was under the age of 18 on February 27, 2001, but not all the criteria conditions mentioned above were met prior to your 18th birthday, you will need to establish U.S. citizenship in your own right.

    It is also possible to file for a Certificate of Citizenship if all the following applied before your 18th birthday and prior to the law taking effect on February 27, 2001:

    • After admission into the U.S. lawful permanent resident applicant regularly resided in the U.S; and
    • Both of applicant’s parents, the parent granted legal and physical custody of you, or your sole surviving parent has been naturalized as U.S. citizen.

    If the applicant is the biological child of a U.S. citizen, born outside the U.S., and you would like to claim U.S. citizenship by having been born to a U.S. citizen parent(s) you automatically became a U.S. citizen at birth if the following applies:

    • Individual was born to two U.S. citizen parents, and one of your parents had residence in the U.S. or one of its outlying possessions. The residence of U.S. citizen had to have taken place prior to your birth; or
    • Individual was born with one parent who is foreign national and the other parent is a U.S. citizen, who prior to the applicant’s birth had been physically present in the U.S. or one of its outlying possessions for a period or periods of totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after the age of 14 years.


    Along with your completed and signed N-600, all applicants should provide:

    • Check or money order made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” for the appropriate amount for biological children and adopted children. There is no fee for members and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces submitting Form N-600 on their own behalf, but you will need to attach proof of your military service. The children of military service members and veterans must still pay the applicable fee.)
    • Two recent and identical passport-style photographs with your A number written lightly in pencil on the back sides
    • A copy of your birth certificate or registration, certified by the appropriate official in the country of your birth
    • A copy of your U.S. citizen parent’s (or parents’) birth certificate or registration of birth
    • A copy of a marriage certificate for your U.S. citizen parent for his or her current marriage and/or a copy of a marriage certificate for your parents’ marriage, and
    • A copy of the front and back sides of your U.S. permanent resident card (if applicable).

    If you only have one U.S. citizen parent, you will need to provide additional information to prove that he or she resided or was physically present in the United States for the period of time required by law. This evidence can include the following documents:

    • School, employment, or military records (such as report cards, diplomas, W-2 forms, enlistment records, and other official correspondence)
    • Deeds, mortgages, utility bills, or leases showing a place of U.S. residence
    • Tax transcripts or U.S. Social Security quarterly reports
    • Letters or affidavits from officials from churches, clubs, unions, and other organizations to which your parent belonged

    If you derived citizenship from one U.S. parent, that parent must have had physical and legal custody of you on the date that you derived citizenship. Evidence can include:

    • Court records or custody orders
    • Proof that you resided with the U.S. citizen parent on the relevant dates (such as school records showing your U.S. citizen parent’s address)
    • If you were born out-of-wedlock and are basing your claim to U.S. citizenship on your U.S. citizen’s father’s status, you should submit proof that he legitimated you, based on the laws of your country of residence or his country of residence such as:
    • A copy of your birth certificate or registration with your father’s name listed
    • DNA test results
    • Proof that your father provided you with financial support, either by court order or personal choice (such as cancelled checks, letters to you, or
    • Proof that you lived with your father and that he called you his son or daughter.

    How we can help you:

    At the Law Office of Moona Shakil, an experienced senior attorney would help preparing your N-600: Application for Certificate of Citizenship.  Our immigration attorney would consult with you to discuss your options.  Our mission is to provide prompt, high quality legal services to benefit the lives of our clients. We handle almost all types of immigration visas, and our attorneys understand that communication is a key to success. You need confidence that your lawyer understands your problem and is working with you to achieve results. Call us to find out how we provide superior service to our clients.


    Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The use of the information on this website creates no attorney client relationship between the user and the Law Office of Moona Shakil, PLLC or its attorneys. There is no substitute for a face to face consultation with a lawyer. If you have legal questions, you must contact an experienced attorney immediately.

    Email or call us for a consultation 703.920.9500